Oldbury Farm Estate
Oldbury Farm Estate consists of a number of neighbouring properties which have been amalgamated by the current owner into the estate which was part of the original 2000 acre grant to James Atkinson in 1820.
Each property has a distinctive character reflected in the buildings and gardens. These properties all form part of the 550 acre working farm running Angus cattle.
The Oldbury garden encircles the 1820’s sandstone houses and incorporates many of the original trees including large specimens of Elm, Ash, Cedar, Sequoia and Pine. In the more recent times the cottage garden has been re established immediately around the house and a walled vegetable garden has been developed. Since the removal of a section of conifer western windbreak last year a broad mixed tree planting has been undertaken to provide replacement shelter. At the rear of the house there are remnant fruit trees (Apple and Plum) and a magnificent trimmed Bay.
In the 1980’s the house and garden were extensively renovated with addition of the pool, tennis court, garages and the many metres of tightly trimmed Leylandii hedges. The view from the front turning circle maintains it colonial connection to the Elm lined avenue which stretched across the paddocks to the neighbouring Mereworth.
Originally a shepherds hut and later a farm building, the garden around Oldbury Cottage is now a cottage garden, extending into a dense Australian native garden. The cottage and garden are separated from the surrounding farm by a haha wall, allowing uninterrupted views across the landscape.
The 4ha arboretum was established 10 years ago to create a extension to the main garden and a connection, via pathways, to Oldbury Cottage. The vision was to create an arboretum which displayed strong seasonal displays with an array of primarily exotic trees. Including a collections of species such as Arbutus, Acer, Fraxinus, Quercus, Betula, Pinus, Callitris, Liriodendron etc.
The topography, which is quite steep, has allowed for the installation of a dedicated lookout and firepit area with an amazing view. The graded paths zig zag across the slopes providing relatively easy access. The rill is a centre piece to the whole area and runs through the central vale to the small lily pond.
The garden at Oldbury Vale has been developed on the bones of the garden surrounding the original 1950’s house. 15 years ago the original house was replaced with a modern Richard Rowe designed residence and the new garden established. The Northern garden is primarily a woodland garden providing a shady retreat under the canopy of the many established trees such as Cedar, Liquidambar, Tulip Tree and Prunus. Large swathes of shade loving ground covers fill the garden beds and of particular interest is the use of Epimedium and Pittosporum Miss Muffett. The Southern garden area features a sun filled lawn area with a perimeter of Cupressus torulosa windbreak and a large orchard. Several Cupressus cashmeriana frame the long view to Mt Ginginbullen.
Parking will be onsite in the paddock adjacent to Oldbury Vale. Visitors can either walk through the newly planted revegetation areas and along the small creek to Oldbury, or catch a shuttle bus directly to Oldbury, the arboretum and Oldbury Cottage.
Two shuttle buses will be operating throughout Friday and the weekend, with pick up/drop off points at the Parking area, Oldbury and Oldbury Cottage. Buses will run about every 30 mins.
Refreshments, including light meals and a coffee van will be available at Oldbury Cottage. Toilets will be located at each of the gardens.
Oldbury, Oldbury Cottage and Oldbury Vale are all reasonably accessible. The pathways through the revegetation areas and the arboretum are steep with uneven ground, making them unsuitable for wheelchairs or people needing assistance with mobility.
No dogs except guide dogs are permitted.